Due diligence is the foundation of our investment management strategy. Our due diligence process begins with the four Ps: performance, process, philosophy, and people. After all our analysis is conducted, we want to answer this question: Do We Trust Our Clients’ Money with These Managers?
Our most recent special guest is Cameron Martin. Mr. Martin is the Chief Investment Officer at Martin Capital Partners, an independent, Oregon-based investment advisory firm, specializing in the management of dividend growth portfolios for institutional and private clients.
Prior to co-founding Martin Capital Partners, he was a portfolio manager for a Pacific Northwest-based asset management boutique, co-managing that firm’s dividend growth fund. Cameron previously managed private client portfolios on behalf of the Portfolio Management Group, a division of Smith Barney, and was an active member of the firm’s Portfolio Management Institute.
A University of Oregon graduate, Cameron began his career in the investment management business in 1996. In addition to serving on local non-profit boards, Cameron currently sits on the Board of Directors of Palomar Specialty (a subsidiary of Southern California-based Palomar Holdings, a public insurance company). He is a past recipient of the University of Oregon’s Leo Harris Award, recognizing a former letterman for distinction in his profession and community.
This interview took place on August 8, 2022.
- 06:22: Cameron gives his views on the market and economy for the remainder of 2022. He believes that during the next two to four quarters, the market will digest navigating high inflation, the rising cost of money, geopolitical hotspots, and volatility.
- 09:37: He discusses the unlikely retreat of inflation to 2-4% that we’ve enjoyed for the past two decades and shares how inflation will change the investing environment.
- 12:10: Cameron outlines his firm’s investment strategy and the characteristics they seek from potential portfolio targets. In addition, he reveals where and why his management style outperforms the markets.
- 19:25: He examines the uniqueness of ESG, in particular, the importance of sustainability of the entity itself over time given Martin Capital Partners’ long holding periods.
- 25:12: Cameron shares personal nuggets including his favorite activity and go-to app to track the economy and market.
The views and opinions expressed here are as of the date recorded and should not be construed as an offer to buy or sell any securities. Such views and opinions may differ from those of Roehl & Yi Investment Advisors and are subject to change without notice. Roehl & Yi has recommended Martin Capital Partners as a separate account manager for certain clients. Clients of Roehl & Yi may or may not have positions managed by Martin Capital Partners. This interview is not meant to be interpreted as a past, current or future recommendation of Martin Capital Partners.
If you would like to speak with a Roehl & Yi financial advisor about your wealth management and investment strategy, please call 888-683-4343.